Thursday, October 15, 2015

Disinformation Is Boggling My Mind

By Gini Cunningham

It used to be when you thought something might be true but you weren't sure, you asked questions, conducted research, applied the "truth" meter, and then verified the authenticity of a matter before making a public announcement. Thus I would never proclaim my neighbor had received threats from a son, a friend had terminal cancer, or a family member had been heralded at work for achievement without checking things out first. And probably I would never share these events anyway as the first is very private and unless my neighbor has asked me to take action, the matter is none of my business and out of my control. My sick friend is even more private and I am certain that s/he would never want me to divulge information helter-skelter anyway. Instead we would chat face-to-face as s/he advised me into action.

Even when my children are awarded prizes and accolades, I am hesitant to spread the word because I do not want to appear overbearing or bragging and my celebration for their success will more likely be private and personal. I am abundantly proud of all three of my children. They have made me proud, but few outside of our immediate circle really want to have their ears talked off on how terrific my kids are. I've been in that position with other friends and acquaintances who prattle off every award and reward known and after time the diatribe becomes monotonous and my mind withdraws. This is especially true on the second, third, fourth, etc. rendition of this particular child's success.

Why is it then that suddenly as a public we accept disinformation with neither pause nor hesitation? Someone declares that the President is not a citizen even though facts prove otherwise and this disinformation spreads and expands and foments under the breath and more often out loud in outbursts of negativity. Another states that the government is going to round up all of our guns and disarm us so that we can be taken hostage and imprisoned. While no one in the government has even suggested such a move, this lie has exploded as some residents stockpile rifles, pistols, and assault weapons along with mountains of ammunition. Even when proof is offered, disinformation overpowers sense and the lie perpetuates.

Planned Parenthood has provided research centers with fetal matter to be studied for the benefit of all. They do not sell it, they do not harvest it without great thought and care, and yet a falsified film is believed as opposed to records and documentation. A service that offers health care to millions of individuals who would quite possibly not receive it otherwise, is vilified and threatened with cutting or ending all funding for the entire operation in the balance. Even when evidence is offered and the doctoring of the film is exposed, some wallow in the disinformation thinking that with enough pronouncements it will become true. Ignorance reigns.

I would really like some truth. Yes, give me your thoughts and then allow me to prove or disprove them. With evidence in hand, from me and more from you, we can discuss, examine, and then draw conclusions based on research and facts rather than on emotions and hostilities. What example do we set for future generations when lies and shrieks overtake honesty and truth? Disinformation is frightening and those who disseminate it in mighty roars are a great disservice to our collective mind and knowledge base.
Ovulation tests