Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A Significant Day in History - Are We Safer?

By Gini Cunningham

Those of us who were alive and old enough to remember the horrendous tragedies that struck our nation fourteen years ago will relate well to this piece. The images are iconic, filled with fear, devastation, and also faith. The faith emanates from those individuals who stepped up and risked their own health and well-being in the service of others. They may have been firemen or police officers, bystanders or victims themselves. They include all of the brave souls who operated through dedication and automaticity to work to save lives. We honor them this day and every day. I wonder if in the same situations I would have found the courage to act and react as they did. I think so but fortunately I do not know as I have not faced such immediate devastation.

Being struck on our own soil surprised us just as it raised our ire. We feel safe in our country, at least most of the time we do. We have rules and regulations, peace officers and other protectors. When I run in the morning or drive my car on the freeway or wander a hiking path, I feel secure, knowing that safety resides. Although I might fall down or bump into another vehicle or trip, overall I have little worry as I live my daily life. It is a pleasant and soothing feeling.

Many say that we are far safer now than we were those many years ago. There is definitely more travel security, especially on airlines. It takes longer to get items renewed or approved like passports or driver's licenses. There are required background checks that I must pass to work in a school or other public locale. I know that I am being checked and scrutinized as my social security number, frequent flyer number, driver's license number, credit card number, and every other number connected with my name are scanned, studied, and then deemed all right. I don't mind most of this inspection into my private life, but it is sometimes unnerving. After all, I know that my phone calls are easily traced through records, but it is crazy to think that I might utter a key word that would send off emergency flares regarding my loyalty. When I am selected at the airport for additional screening as my fingers or bags are checked and an armed guard stands by is scary. When I am patted down before I can enter a ball game or concert, unease overtakes me, even though I am innocent of any crime and do not possess a criminal record.

So after all of this, I return to my question, are we safer. Are random selections and orderly, complete inspections improving conditions? While we tremble at the thought of another attack from foreign lands, we allow guns to run rampant as more citizens are shot and many are killed. We fret about invasions from elsewhere with little mind to local possibilities. I bought a birthday rifle for my son one year and had to fill out numerous forms, wait a state background check, and then abide a 3-day waiting period before I could purchase and take possession of it. This was fine; I was approved; my son was able to go hunting. In essence, I followed all laws and procedures and earned the rifle. Of course, I realize that a criminal in the same situation would have known how to circumvent all of this and have a gun in his/her hands within minutes. That is when I wonder if we are really safer.

Those against background checks rally about freedom and gun rights. It is their privilege to do so, but I wonder if they realize the floodgates of gun sales that remain open and endanger all of our lives. Yes, illegal guns will still fall into the wrong hands, but what if all arms trade was just a little tougher, especially online and in gun shows. Just a few restrictions would make a tremendous difference. As another anniversary of the attack on our country arrives and then ends, have we learned anything? Have we made necessary changes to enhance safety or have we simply scared ourselves silly with boogieman threats or allowed ourselves to be lulled into complacency permitting fear to drive our actions? I wonder.